- Partnered with Guide Dogs Queensland and the Royal Australian College of Surgeons to provide a range of Low Vision aids to be freely distributed through the Timor- Leste National Eye Clinic. Bashir Ebrahim OAM, Rehabilitation Services Manager, Guide Dogs Queensland, has provided on-site low vision education and assessment and low vision mobility training to Timorese children and adults who are severely visually impaired.
Bashir Ebrahim with the Schweizer equipment. The kit contains a selection of Ergo-Lux illuminated hand magnifiers, LED illuminated stand magnifiers, Ego-Base with fixed-focus holders, LED illuminated stand magnifiers plus high power lenses for testing, multi light led Mobil light, in addition to a few other individual pieces. This equipment will be donated through the National Eye Clinic in Dili to the Timorese who are severely visually impaired or have low vision.
- Supported the Hera Kids Ark School with the construction and renovation of classrooms for children who have special needs.
- Completed the additional Classroom at the Kid's Ark School in Hera
- Facilitated the donation of an Electroboard "Smart Board" to the Kid's Ark School
- Donated of 8 boxes of medical consumables (no medications) including: bandages, dressings, latex gloves to the Sidara Clinic in Hera
- Donated of an Abney (Engineering) Level to our Community Development partner Hamoris Timor Oan
- Facilitated of a consultant to work for the Moonee Valley City Council (MVCC) to plan their next steps with the Liquisa District Sister City relationship, (Internet services and sports fields)
- Provided in-kind Support to AFL Timor-Leste in the form of support of their International game in Darwin and work with the AFL and Aust Volunteers International to get an AVI stationed with the AFLT-L in Dili
Hera Primary School
- Established a pack up power system (Battery Run) for the Sidara Clinic Birthing Centre so that women would no longer have to give birth under candle light.
- Provision of equipment for Volunteer Doctor including: baby resus equipment, blood pressure monitor, Doctors bag and assorted baby clothes, bedding and equipment.
- Established permculture gardens at the Clinic.
2010 Christmas Appeal
- Provided a Water Purifyer so that the kids could drink the tap water.
- Established permaculture gardens and chicken coops for the provision of fresh food for the School
Feeding Program as well as for teaching the children some aspects of animal care and vegetable garden care.
- Established a shade over the playground to keep the children out of the direct sun whilst they enjoy the use of the schools facilities.
During 2009 and 2010 our projects in Timor-Leste have included: